Telehealth is a great way to receive mental health services. In a telehealth appointment, you meet with your counselor, psychologist, or psychiatry provider using a secure video system. Telehealth can save you time because you do not need to travel to and from your provider’s office. It can also can make therapy and psychiatry more accessible if you live in an area with few mental health services.
If you have a telehealth appointment scheduled with Auburn Psychological Wellness Center, we have the following tips to help you prepare for your first session.
We recommend you use a computer if possible. You do not need any special software to attend appointments on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. However, you do need a mic, speaker, and webcam. These features are already integrated into most products.
Maximize Your Internet Connection
Close other programs that may slow down your computer or phone. If you live in an area with slower internet, use a wired Ethernet connection instead of WiFi if possible. If you do need to use WiFi, move as close to your router as you can.
Protect Your Privacy
- Attend your session behind a closed door. Lock the door if that does not create a safety concern.
- Use headphones so others cannot hear your therapist talking.
- Use a fan or sound machine outside the door so others cannot hear your voice.
- Do not use your employer’s computer or phone for sessions. Your employer may have monitoring software installed on the device.
Set up Your Space
- Find a comfortable place to sit for your appointment.
- Avoid sitting right in front of a bright window.
- Turn on overhead lights. If possible, place a lamp behind your computer/phone so that it lights your face. This will allow your therapist to better see you during the session.
- Angle the camera so that your head is in the top one-third of the video screen. This will allow your provider’s ‘eye contact’ to look natural to you.
How to Join Your Telehealth Appointment
You will receive an email with the telehealth weblink when you schedule your appointment. If you have set up appointment reminders through email and/or text, you will also receive the link through your selected method(s) about one hour before your appointment.
Once you have joined the link, set your sound settings as desired. You will then enter a virtual waiting room. “Knock” to be let into the virtual appointment room. Your provider will let you in when they are ready.
If you have trouble connecting at the time of your appointment, call our office at 334-219-0425. We can help you to troubleshoot.
We look forward to working alongside you!