Telehealth is a great way to receive counseling services. In a telehealth appointment, you meet with your counselor or psychologist using a secure video system. Telehealth can save you time because you do not need to travel to and from your counselor’s office. It can also can make therapy more accessible if you live in an area with few mental health services.
If you have a telehealth appointment scheduled with Auburn Psychological Wellness Center, we have the following tips to help you prepare for your first session.
We recommend you use a computer if possible. You do not need any special software to attend appointments on your computer. If you use a smartphone or certain tablets, you will need to download the Telehealth by SimplePractice app (for iOS or Android) to attend your appointment. Check out this page for FAQs on our telehealth platform, SimplePractice.
Maximize Your Internet Connection
Close other programs that may slow down your computer or phone. If you live in an area with slower internet, use a wired Ethernet connection instead of WiFi if possible. If you do need to use WiFi, move as close to your router as you can.
Protect Your Privacy
- Attend your session behind a closed door. Lock the door if that does not create a safety concern.
- Use headphones so others cannot hear your therapist talking.
- Use a fan or sound machine outside the door so others cannot hear your voice.
- Do not use your employer’s computer or phone for sessions. Your employer may have monitoring software installed on the device.
Set up Your Space
- Find a comfortable place to sit for your appointment.
- Avoid sitting right in front of a bright window.
- Turn on overhead lights. If possible, place a lamp behind your computer/phone so that it lights your face. This will allow your therapist to better see your face during the session.
- Angle the camera so that your head is in the top one-third of the video screen. This will allow your therapist’s ‘eye contact’ to look natural to you.
How to Join Your Telehealth Appointment
If you have set up appointment reminders through email or text, you will receive the weblink about 24 hours before your appointment. If you have not set up appointment reminders, you will receive the link via email about 10 minutes before your appointment.
If you log in before your therapist, they will join you by the start of your appointment time.
If you have trouble connecting at the time of your appointment, call our office at 334-219-0425 and leave a message for your counselor. Your counselor will call you back to troubleshoot.
We look forward to working alongside you!