If you are thinking about therapy, you might be wondering whether it will actually help. We have good news! Psychotherapy—also called counseling or therapy—helps people with many different concerns. Research has found therapy to have numerous benefits.
Benefits You Might Experience:
- Reduced psychological symptoms, such as depression, anxiety, and trauma reactions.
- Decreased stress and anger, which are related to health problems such as cardiovascular disease.
- Better personal functioning, such as concentration, sleep patterns, eating habits, mood, and decision-making.
- Improved relationships with others. Therapy can help with communication, boundary setting, emotional intimacy, trust, and other skills that are critical for healthy relationships.
- Deeper self-understanding. Counselors can help you explore your identity, what is important to you, and what you want to get out of life.
- New coping skills. These skills can help with the concerns that brought you to therapy. The skills will also help you cope with future stress.
Therapy at APWC
At Auburn Psychological Wellness Center, our psychologists and counselors use established treatment approaches. We adapt our therapy to meet each client’s unique needs and preferences. In addition, one of the best predictors of treatment success is the therapeutic relationship between the client and the counselor. Because of this, our therapists work to develop a positive, trusting relationship with clients.
It is important that our clients feel confident in their treatment, so if you ever have questions or doubts, please bring them up with your therapist. We can work together to change your treatment or get you connected to a provider who is a better fit for your needs. Ultimately, we want you to achieve the change that you deserve, whether it is with us or with someone else.
We hope that you will take the step today to see how psychotherapy can benefit you. If you live in the Auburn-Opelika area, you can schedule an appointment with an APWC therapist. We also offer telehealth counseling (video appointments) to Alabama residents outside of our local area.